If you feel you’re suffering from more stressful days than not lately, consider adding essential oils for mental peace to your wellness routine. They can help you regain your sense of mental peace and relaxation. Essential oils have been trending everywhere lately, so many wonder if they actually work. We know that everybody is different and will respond differently to certain tools. However, it turns out that essential oils for mental peace tend to work extremely well in reducing stress and anxiety.
Essential Oils for Mental Peace
A study conducted at Ruhr University in Bochum, Germany suggested that “essential oils may affect a number of biological factors, including heart rate, stress levels, blood pressure, breathing, and immune function.” Essential oils are made up of aromatic, fragrant molecules that can actually pass right through the blood/brain barrier. These essential oils have a direct effect on the areas of our brain in charge of controlling those stressful feelings.
The really cool about these stress-reducing essential oils for mental peace is that they can be both calming and stimulating and will have different “effects” on you based on how you are doing that day. For example, a person feeling extremely restless may feel a calming sensation after using a specific oil or blend. A person who is feeling low and depressed may feel a more uplifting effect after using the same specific oil or blend. This is why some essential oils are called “adaptogens”, as they literally adapt to the needs of the person using it!
Keep reading to learn about the benefits of specific essential oils and blends for mental peace.
Lavender is one of the most popular essential oils used today. Most of that popularity comes from the seemingly countless uses lavender has. Another reason it’s so popular is that it truly helps offer mental and emotional balance – especially for users that have trouble falling asleep. Lavender is also fantastic at improving mental concentration, reducing stress, and calming agitation. Its fresh and floral aroma is a perfect pick me up on those rough days.
When it comes to stress and anxiety, research suggests that essential oils applied topically may be the most effective and efficient way to experience the most benefits. In the specificity of lavender essential oil, a study showed that the medicinal properties of lavender entered the bloodstream in as little as five minutes of rubbing the oil on to the skin.
How to Use Lavender Essential Oil for Mental Peace:
- Inhale lavender oil directly for an immediate calming effect
- Simply rub 2-3 drops of lavender oil in your palms and take a deep breath. The scent enters the amygdala, the center for emotions, and provides a feeling of instant relaxation. It is great for use in the office, while traveling or in crowded areas!
- If you’d rather not apply the oil directly, put 1-2 drops in a handkerchief or a cotton pad and inhale.
Sourced from a tree native to Somalia in Africa, Frankincense is derived from the resent of the Boswellias carterri/sacara tree. This tree is known to grow in unfavorable, barren, and arid conditions, and therefore this essential oil is considered more of a luxury compared to other oils. Frankincense offers benefits that can reduce nervousness, anxiety, and symptoms of depression. This oil is also commonly associated with many different faiths, as Frankincense is believed to increase intuition and spirituality.
How to Use Frankincense Essential Oil for Mental Peace:
- Diffuse a few drops of frankincense oil in the air to experience complete relaxation after a long, tiring day
- Add a few drops in a hot shower and cover the drain. Inhale deeply and let your stress melt away.
- Create a stress relief oil massage blend which includes: 4 drops of Frankincense, 4 drops of Jasmine, 2 drops of Lemon, 4 tsp of carrier oil – such as jojoba or sweet almond oil, which has an odor-free scent making it pair well with the earthy and light fruity aroma of frankincense.
Wild orange is easily identified as one of the most citrusy and refreshing scents of all the essential oils. This oil assist is powerful and uplifting and aids in reducing fatigue while also promoting an environment of contentment – meaning it’s great for diffusing in either your living room or bedroom. In fact, a study conducted at Mei University in Japan concluded that patients taking orange oil were significantly able to reduce their antidepressant medicine intake! With its proven, stress-relieving benefits, wild orange oil is a great addition to your mental wellness routine.
How to Use Wild Orange Essential Oil for Mental Peace:
- Orange essential oil is perhaps best used in a diffuser to uplift and refresh the mood – it’s great for boosting energy and improving concentration
- Directly inhale orange oil to awaken the senses and get an instant lift
- Create a stress relief oil massage blend which includes: 6 drops of wild orange essential oil, 2 drops of lavender essential oil, 4 tsp of a carrier oil – a neutral oil like jojoba oil or fractionated coconut oil (remains a liquid at room temperature), that balances well with the strong aroma of orange oil works best.
Tea Tree Oil
Just like lavender, tea tree oil is considered to be one of the most versatile essential oils. Normally, tea tree oil is usually steam distilled from the leaves of wood of the tea tree plant. It is an effective stress reliever and is also known for its dandruff and acne-fighting properties.
How to Use Tea Tree Essential Oil for Mental Peace:
- Infuse the senses by adding a few drops of tea tree essential oil to your shower – cover the drain and breathe in the goodness
- Alternatively, you can add a few drops of tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil in a hot bath along with a 1/4 cup of Epsom salt and soak your worries away
- Create your own stress relief air freshener: in a clean 4 oz fine mist spray bottle with 6 tablespoons of distilled water, 10 drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil, 6 drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil, 4 drops of Lavender Essential Oil – fill the bottle with the distilled water and add the essential oils, then shake and spray your surroundings and let your stress melt away
Inner Peace Blend
As opposed to specific oils, this last point is a blend of a number of essential oils, which work together as a team. The Inner Peace blend from Touch of Earth is composed of lavender, bergamot, rosewood, ylang-ylang, palo santo, and Roman chamomile. This essential oil blend supports both a healthy mood and response to stress. This combination promotes calmness and soothing through sweet, woody, and floral aromas.
How to Use the Inner Peace Blend for Mental Peace:
- This blend of essential oils is perhaps best used in a diffuser. The aromas can help both uplift and create a sense of calm
- Infuse the senses by adding a few drops the blend to your shower. Cover the drain and breathe in the goodness
- Inhale the blend directly for an immediate soothing effect
- Simply rub 2-3 drops of the oil blend in your palms and take a deep breath. Or roll a drop on your wrists and on near your collarbone. This results in boosts throughout your day
Overall Wellness Takes Patience and Practice
I’d love to sit here and say essential oils for mental peace are going to cure your woes. But we all know that these essential oils for mental peace can only do so much. It takes a balanced wellness routine to truly feel all of the wonderful benefits. This includes your nutrition and fitness, it includes supplements and oils, and it also includes your mental health. If you feel essential oils aren’t enough to help you find peace, the therapists at CPA would love to help. Call us today to schedule an appointment: 412-439-1416 or contact us for more information.
Image Credit – Adobe Stock
* This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please contact a medical professional for advice.